Dr. Ikeya Atinko at the National Hospital Abuja and a member of Resident Doctors’ association, came for rounds in the early hours of the morning on June 14, 2022 to see a patient. When he noticed the wound wasn’t treated, he approached the nurse who was feeding a patient and said, “Madam, leave whatever you’re doing and clean that dirty wound,” to which the relative of the patient the nurse was feeding said, “So my patient isn’t important?”
The doctor came at her angrily and urged her to come dress the wound immediately after the nurse finished feeding and was washing up the stuff she used. The nurse answered that the gynecology doctors indicated they wanted to watch the wound thus it should not be cleansed by a nurse.
She went on to claim that she had no difficulty dressing the wound, but that she should document that the nurse should do it, which was contrary to earlier instructions. He stated he wouldn’t document anything, and in the heat of discussions, he slapped her across the face. As she was attempting to snap the Doctor, the other Doctors with him held the nurse.
- Lagos nurses to call off planned strike as Gov Sanwo-Olu intervenes on Jan. 9
- Strike: Row worsen as Nr. Olurotimi Awojide, Toba Odumosu led NANNM walks out of Lagos State Government
The association for Resident doctors sent out a press release defending Dr Atinko, that he is a revered Member of the association, also saying that they share “fragile workplace harmony with them”, probably that could have warranted a slap.
The association of Resident doctors also said Dr. Atinko Politely asked the nurse to clean the wound, no wonder such politeness could have baffled and triggered the patient’s relative to say “So my patient isn’t important?”
Using OCR IMAGE TO TEXT, the press release reads:
16 June, 2022 OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE OF THE ASSOCIATION OF RESIDENT DOCTORS, NATIONAL HOSPITAL ABUUA ARISING FROM THE EMERGENCY CONGRESS MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 16 DAY OF JUNE 2022
Gentlemen of the Press, The Association of Resident Doctors, National Hospital Abuja ARD-NHA) held Emergency Congress Meeting today Thursday 16 June 2022 following allegations of salt on a Member of the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) by one of our Members Dr Sunday Ikeyah Atinko on an incidence that occurred at the In-Patient Female Medical ward on Monday 13 June 2022; and we observed as follows:
1. That Dr Sunday Atinkohal led his team to the said ward for a ward round on Monday 13 June 2022 to see a Patient after a theatre session LI
2. That whilst the Ward-round was ongoing, there arose a need for the Nurse in charge of the Patient care to dress a septic wound for which Dr Sunday Atinko politely called on the Nurse to do but all his appeal fell on deaf ears
3. That the Nurse instead resorted to use of foul and abusive languages and sault on the whole team when Dr Atinko insisted the dresses the wound
4. That the matter has been escalated to the Management of the National Hospital Abuja who are presently investigating this incidence and had called the Executives of both ARD-NHA and NANNM to use fire whilst investigations are concluded
S. That the Members of NANNM decided to desecrate constituted authorities and resorted to a demonstration within and around the Hospital wherein they denigrated the images of our colleagues, Dr Sunday Atinko being the most conspicuous 6. That the Members of NANNM also went ahead to send personal messages of threat to Dr Sunday Atinko and his wife and malign his images all over the Social Media space After listening to other members of the team and following intense deliberations, we want to state thus:
That Dr Sunday Atinko is a revered Member of our Association who has served in various capacities and has carried on diligently with his Clinical work all these years in the noble of ways and has not been found wanting in the discharge of his duties
2. That neither did Dr Atinko or Member of his team assault any Nurse on July at the In-Patient Female Medical Ward on the said day
3. That we frown at the use of defaming words wed against our Member by Members of NANNM now circulating on various Social Media platforms and we urge them to desist fortwith from this proble act.
4. That we restate our commitment to the panel of inquiry be formed by the Hospital Management and believe that the process would lead to the knowledge of the truth about the incidence and all the perpetrators brought to book
5. That we would continue to conduct ourselves Professionally whilst carrying out our duties and maintain good relationship with other Healthcare Workers
6. That there is an imminent need for a round table discussion to discuss the organogram is patient care and scope of work of various health care personnel We pray the Management of National Hospital Abuja and the investigation panel expedite action on this and call Members of NANNM NHA to order with immediate effect as such actions threaten the fragile workplace harmony we share with them Hoy Dr. Hely Nude PRESIDENT L Dude Laarem Gen SECRETARY . Tunde P.RO die Ce: 1. National Hospital Management MDCAN NHA NMA FCT NARD General Public.
Get the latest information on nursing and health by joining our email newsletter. You’ll be the first to know about nursing news, trending topics, and educational resources.