PENIS INFECTIONS: CAUSES, SYMPTOMS, AND TREATMENTS
Common penis diseases
Here’s a look at some of the more common conditions that can affect your penis.
Balanitis happens when the head of your penis becomes irritated and inflamed. You’re more likely to develop it if you aren’t circumcised.
- foreskin swelling and redness
- foreskin tightness
- unusual discharge from your penis head
- pain or itching around your genital area
- sensitive, painful genital skin
Yes, males can get yeast infections too. This is a type of infection that’s caused by a fungus. It tends to start as a red rash, but you may also notice white, shiny patches on the skin of your penis.
Other symptoms of a penile yeast infection include:
- unusually moist penis skin
- a chunky, cottage cheese-like substance beneath the foreskin or other skin folds
- a burning sensation in the skin of your penis
Erectile dysfunction (ED) happens when you can’t get or maintain an erection. It isn’t always a cause for medical concern, as stress and anxiety are common triggers for occasional ED. But if it’s happening regularly, it may a sign of an underling health problem.
ED symptoms include:
- trouble getting an erection
- difficulty keeping an erection during sex
- loss of interest in sex
Premature ejaculation (PE) happens when you release semen during sexual activity earlier than desired — usually after less than a minute of intercourse or masturbation.
PE isn’t necessarily a health problem, but it can interrupt sexual pleasure and cause relationship issues for some.
You don’t need to worry if PE happens once in a while. But if it happens often, you might want to talk to your doctor about treatment options, including sexual strategies or counseling.
Peyronie’s disease is a type of ED that happens when scar tissue causes your penis to bend or curve unusually.
A slight penis curve is completely normal. But the curve associated Peyronie’s disease is usually more distinct. It can result from a penis injury or trauma that causes scar tissue, called plaque, to build up.
- sharp bend or curve of the penis
- hard lumps or tissue on the bottom or side of your penis shaft or all the way around
- pain or discomfort when you get hard or ejaculate
- penis shrinkage or shortening