Patients Bill of Right in Nigeria
Know Your Right Today Learn more on https://www.facebook.com/Nursingstv/
A patient's bill of rights is a list of guarantees for those receiving medical care. It may take the form of a law or a non-binding declaration. Typically a patient's bill of rights guarantees patients information, fair treatment, and autonomy over medical decisions, among other rights.
All the 12 health rights enshrined in the Bill of Rights are important and must be protected. These rights are:
- Right to relevant information in a language and manner the patient understands including diagnosis, treatment, other procedures and possible outcomes.
- Right to timely access to detail and accurate medical records and available services.
- Right to transparent billing and full disclosure of any costs, including recommended treatment plans.
- Right to privacy, and confidentiality of medical records.
- Right to clean, safe, and secure healthcare environments.
- Right to be treated with respect, regardless of gender, race, religion, ethnicity, allegations of crime, disability or economic circumstances.
- Right to receive urgent, immediate and sufficient intervention and care, in the event of an emergency.
- Right to reasonable visitation in accordance with prevailing rules and regulations.
- Right to decline care, subject to prevailing laws and upon full disclosure of the consequences of such a decision.
- Right to decline or consent to participate in medical research, experimental procedures or clinical trials.
- Right to quality care in accordance with prevailing standards.
- Right to complain and express dissatisfaction regarding services received.